Monday, August 6, 2007

Meredith's Top 10 and a Goodbye

After 2 years as the Clara Barton Intern for Women's Issues, my term is up! I'm preparing to start a new job with Advocates for Youth after I take a much needed vacation out of hot, humid DC. The transition process has been interesting for me as I've been evaluating my life, what I've learned and experienced while working for the UUA and how I want to be and live in the future.

Here's my Top 10 list (in no particular order) from my past 2 years at the UUA:
1. Working with organizations and people with progressive visions for social change
2. Staying grounded through weekly theological reflections
3. Training and supporting young advocates as they lobby for comprehensive sex education
4. Being a part of the UUA and knowing that I've contributed to the visibility, growth and strength of our denomination
5. Being able, and encouraged to openly discuss identities and anti-racism/anti-oppression
6. Having supportive, passionate and fun coworkers
7. Seeing how small groups of UUs have organized to make change in their churches, communities and country
8. Interfaith organizing and dialogue!
9. Meeting Members of Congress
10. Talking about Our Whole Lives knowing that it's one of the best curriculums available

This internship provided me with an incredible opportunity to engage and challenge my faith, my UU community and the larger world. I've learned so much and I hope that I've passed on some of my knowledge and passion along the way.

I'm pleased to welcome Grace Garner as the 3rd Clara Barton Intern. She has a strong foundation to work from and I'm excited to see where her vision will take UUA justice and advocacy work on women's issues.