Thursday, October 11, 2007

Nobel Peace Prize Part 1--Oscar Night

The Nobel Peace Prize is to be announced tomorrow.

The kind of people I associate with, this is big news. It is like Oscar night news. People are hedging their bets and making predictions. Which is difficult since those Nobel folks are so very secretive. Its kind of like guessing the Oscar winners without knowing what movies came out this past year.

A lot of folks are thinking that the award will go to an environmentalist organization or advocate. The popular vote is going to Al Gore. Although, I don't see that happening this year. Other folks are clamoring for the Burmese monks. However, their most recent actions didn't happen until after the nomination process was over and Aung San Suu Kyi already won it. And the Nobel folks rarely look at the short run. Although there are a few exceptions--such as The Northern Ireland Peace Talks of '99. And the popular vote hardly every counts.

I on the other hand, have my lot casted in with Mercy Corps. But I've got an inside source. I am good friends with a laureate. And its their votes that counts.

Who will it be? We will just have wait to find out.